Do you want to make shipping from Scotland to USA more cost and time-efficient? Here is a guide that can help you get an idea of what to expect during the shipping process.
The largest and most stable economy in the world is found in the United States of America. That is why shipping to the country requires maximum security and reliability. Plus, UK brands (including Scotland) have a good reputation in the US. So if you’re looking for ways to find the best and most economical shipping method from Scotland to the US, you’ve come to the right place!
Here, we will help you find the best service that matches your needs without compromising quality. Make your shipping processes hassle-free through this guide!
P.S. If you are sending products from China to the Amazon FBA warehouse, we recommend FBABEE. We are an experienced Amazon FBA freight forwarder that can help you send your goods faster and easier!
Tips on Saving Your Money & Time Before Shipping From Scotland to the USA
Knowing the Restricted and Prohibited Items When Shipping from Scotland to the US
You can find the full list of the restricted and prohibited items in the US in the link provided but below is an overview of these products:
- Trademarked Articles
- Fish and Wildlife
- Dog and Cat Fur
- Drug Paraphernalia
- Game and Hunting Trophies
- Defense Articles including Items with Proliferation or Military Applications
- Cultural Property and Cultural Artifacts
- Merchandise from Embargoed Countries
Make sure that you are not sending restricted and prohibited items to avoid your goods being sent back to the sender. If you are sending prohibited items, make sure that you prepare relevant import licenses. You can also contact the U.S. Customs and Border Protection office to know more about the products that you can’t send to the country.
Familiarize Yourself With the Peak Seasons
Seasonal factors greatly affect freight rates and shipping times. Regardless of where you are shipping from and to, always consider the peak seasons in both countries. Peak seasons usually happen in the fall months. If you don’t want unexpected delays, you can ship during off-peak seasons.
Consider Scotland to the United States Shipping Times
How long does it take to ship from Scotland to US? Below are the estimated transit times for each mode of shipping:
|Mode of Shipping||Door-to-Door||Port-to-Port|
|Air Shipping||6-13 days||6-7 days|
|Sea Freight (FCL)||46-50 days||24-40 days|
|Sea Freight (LCL)||42-47 days||15-26 days|
|Express Shipping||1-4 days||—|
If you want to avoid delays, always book in advance. This also allows you to save money and time.
Prepare the Required Documents
Always prepare the right documents to clear customs quickly. Among the most important documents required by customs officials are the following:
- The original invoice
- Packing list
- Certificate of origin
- Letter of credit or other payment terms
- Airway Bill for airfreight or Bill of Lading for sea freight
Know the Shipping Prices From Scotland to the USA
The cost of shipping from Scotland to the US can be affected by many factors like the type of goods you are sending and the shipping mode. There are also Customs Duties that you need to pay but freight forwarders will often include those in the quote. Always ask for a quote from your logistics company to know the exact rates. We will give you the estimated rates for each shipping mode later in this guide.
Partner With an Experienced Freight Forwarder
Your shipments can reach their destination safely and on time if you work with a trusted freight forwarder. Arranging transportation alone for your cargo can be a time-consuming task, how much more would handling customs clearance be? Freight forwarders can offer all-in-one services for your shipping needs including handling customs clearance. You might also want to check out our list of the top freight forwarders in UK.
Also Read: A Complete Guide to Shipping From Norway to USA
Choosing Your Options for Shipping Freight From Scotland to the US
The mode of shipping you will be choosing will depend on the weight, type of goods, your budget, and the transit time you are expecting. Basically, you can choose from the following options:
- Air shipping
- FCL sea freight
- LCL sea freight
- Express shipping
We will discuss each one in the following sections.
Also Read: A Complete Guide to Shipping From Finland to USA
Air Freight from Scotland to the US
Air freight is faster compared to sea shipping but is also more expensive.
Air Freight from Scotland to the United States Rates
The average price for air shipping is $1,149 for 200-kg (1-CBM) loads.
Air Shipping Transit Time from Scotland to the US
The estimated transit time is 6-13 days for door-to-door delivery and 6-7 days for port-to-port delivery.
Recommended Logistic Brands
- PACK & SEND
- Shipa Freight
Why and When to Choose Air Shipping
- More economical compared to ocean shipping if you are sending loads below 100 kilograms
- Only minor delays
- Reliable security
- Ideal for valuable and perishable items
- Faster than sea shipping
Also Read: A Complete Guide to Shipping From Denmark to USA
Ocean Freight From Scotland to the US
Ocean shipping involves shipping your goods in 20-ft or 40-ft cargo containers and is the shipping mode mostly chosen by businesses.
Options for Sea Freight from Scotland to the United States
You can choose from FCL or LCL shipping for ocean freight:
LCL Sea Freight from Scotland to the United States
- Less than a container load
- Your goods will be shipped along with other pallets or boxes
- Recommended for lighter shipments
FCL Sea Freight from Scotland to the United States
- Full container load
- Your goods will fill a whole container
- Ideal for bulk shipping
Read more about FCL vs. LCL here.
Shipping Rates from Scotland to the United States
Below are the average prices for sea shipping from Scotland to the US:
- FCL (during peak seasons): $2,463
- LCL (200-kg/ 1 CBM loads): $765
Sea Shipping Transit Time from Scotland to the USA
Below are the estimated transit times for FCL and LCL sea shipping:
Sea Freight (FCL)
- Door-to-door: 46-50 days
- Port-to-port: 24-40 days
Sea Freight (LCL)
- Door-to-door: 42-47 days
- Port-to-port: 15-26 days
Recommended Logistic Brands
- PACK & SEND
- Shipa Freight
- Meadows International Removals
Why and When to Choose Ocean Shipping
- More cost-efficient when sending loads above 100 kilograms
- Ideal for bulky and large shipments
- More flexible when it comes to the type of goods you can send
You can read more about air freight vs. sea freight here.
Also Read: A Complete Guide to Shipping From Switzerland to USA
Express from Scotland to the United States
Express, or courier, shipping is for small shipments that you need to deliver quickly but it is also the most expensive mode of shipping.
Rates for Express Shipping From Scotland to the US
You should expect to pay an average of $466 for express shipping. This rate is for 50-kg loads (0.2 CBM).
Express Shipping Time
Express shipping from the UK (including Scotland) to the United States usually takes 1-4 days and is always a door-to-door delivery.
Recommended Logistic Brands
- PACK & SEND
- FX World Expres
Why and When to Choose Express Shipping
- Ideal for shipments below 35 kilograms
- Fastest easy to deliver your package to the US
- Recommended for small cargoes (e.g. product samples)
Factors That May Affect the Transit Time and Shipping Cost From Scotland to the US
Before you send your products from Scotland the US, you should first know the factors that can affect the shipping costs and transit times:
- The origin and destination of your goods
- Seasonal factors
- The size, weight, and volume of your shipment
- Whether you are sending via air freight, sea freight, or express shipping
- Security and customs checks
- The service required for your shipment (door-to-door or port-to-port)
Also Read: A Complete Guide to Shipping From Portugal to USA
Logistic Options for Shipping Goods From Scotland to the USA
There are two types of logistics companies you can choose from that can ease the shipping process:
- They can offer door-to-door, port-to-port, door-to-port, and port-to-door delivery options
- They offer different routes, services, and pricing
- They can choose the best route based on your goods and time requirements
- They can handle customs clearance for you
- They offer air, sea, and express shipping options
In case you are looking for Amazon FBA freight forwarders in the UK and the USA, you might want to check out our lists below:
- Most of their responsibilities are handling and transporting your goods
- They can oversee tasks such as arranging transportation for your cargo and clearing customs
- Most specialize in a single transportation mode
- They can’t provide door-to-door shipping services
Available Routes for Shipping From Scotland to the US
If you partner with a freight forwarder, they can advise which route is best for exporting your products to the US. But if you are going to choose your preferred route, make sure to consider transit time, cost, ease of customs clearance, port volume, and others. In general, below are the major ports used to ship goods from Scotland to the US:
Port-to-Port Routes for Shipping From Scotland to the United States
Port of Origin in Scotland
- The largest port in Scotland with excellent rail and road connections
- The most ideal port of origin for suppliers in Scotland as well as in Northern England
- Port Code: GBGRG
Ports of Arrival in the US
- Los Angeles (Port Code: USLAX)
- New York (Port Code: USNYC)
- Houston (Port code: USHOU)
- New Orleans (Port code: USMSY)
- Savannah (Port code: USSAV)
- Oakland (Port code: USOAK)
- Mobile (Port code: USMOB)
Air Shipping Route From Scotland to the United States
- The major international gateway for suppliers based in Scotland and Northern England
- Handles more than 13,000 tons of cargo each year
- Serves the US airport in New York
Also Read: A Complete Guide to Shipping From Spain to USA
Choosing A Reliable Freight Forwarder for Your Needs
Let’s end our blog with the following important factors you need to consider when choosing a freight forwarder:
Find a freight forwarder that is knowledgeable enough about the ins and outs of the shipping process, especially customs clearance. This ensures that your goods will arrive smoothly at their destination.
Proof of Legitimacy
Make sure that you are working with a trustworthy company by doing a background check first. To confirm their legitimacy, they should have at least the proper certifications.
Can the freight forwarder you chose satisfy your specific needs? Do not settle for cheap rates only. The service that they can provide you will make a big difference in ensuring that your goods will arrive on time.
Freight forwarders will base the quote on your specific needs. Make sure that their rates are still within your budget and that their services will be worth your money.
Also Read: A Complete Guide to Shipping From Italy to USA
We hope that our shipping guide was able to help you in sending your items to the US easier and faster. If you have other questions about shipping your goods from China to the Amazon warehouse, feel free to contact us.
You might also want to read our other list of freight forwarders and shipping guides in the UK:
- A Complete Guide to Shipping From UK to USA
- A Complete Guide to Shipping From China to UK
- Top 10 Freight Forwarders in China
- Best Freight Forwarder From China to UK